In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Hellenistic Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”
Deacon Mission Statement
We, the Deacons of Buffalo Baptist Church, who have been called by God through the leading of the Holy Spirit and having been elected by the church body, have been charged with the challenges and the duties of this ministerial position as prescribed by God in the Holy Bible (Acts 20:28, I Peter 5:1-2).
Having chosen the governing structure of Deacons and Committees, the Deacons are to assume the spiritual leadership as the Elders in the New Testament (Acts 6). The physical work of the church is to be done by committees.
The Deacons, who are individually secure in their own character as shown in I Timothy 3 and Titus 1:5-9 have been led to a ministry of service in the following areas:
- Deacons are to support the Pastor(s) of the church just as Aaron and Hur supported Moses (Exodus 17:8-13).
- Through prayer and supplication, the Deacons are to protect the church family from all evil (Acts 20:28-38).
- Deacons are to support the work of the committees as overseers (I Peter5:1-5), however are not to perform like one themselves.
- Deacons are to support and pray for those in the church family who are sick or suffering in any way (James 5:13-15).
- Deacons are to promote a peaceful environment for worship and ministry (I Thessalonians 5:13).
In summary, Deacons are to enhance the spiritual condition of Buffalo Baptist Church. This to be done through prayer, teaching, preaching, or any other means necessary that would promote spiritual health. Deacon meetings should be times of worship. Any topics of discussion within these meetings should enhance the spiritual growth of the church. All other business should be given to committees. Let us not forsake the spiritual well being of Buffalo Baptist Church (Acts 6:1-4).
Deacons serve for three years, or less if they serve in a replacement capacity. Deacons take time to study God's Word, to spend time with God in prayer, to serve the spiritual needs of the congregation, and to fulfill all their duties with the attitude as if serving God Himself. There are currently seven serving deacons. They are:
- Chris Silvers - Chairman
- Ronnie Blackburn - Vice Chairman
- Rick Stamey
- Joel Sanders
- Travis Lail
- Matt Thomas